Preparation / Directions:
Makes about 1 1/3 pounds
1. Stir together sugar, corn syrup and cream in heavy 3-quart saucepan; stirring constantly, bring to a boil over medium heat.
2. Add margarine; stirring occasionally, cook over low heat until temperature registers 260 F. on candy thermometer, or a small amount of mixture dropped into very cold water forms a ball that is hard enough to hold its shape, yet plastic.
3. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.
4. Turn into a greased 8 x 8 x 2-inch pan; cool until film forms on top.
5. Beginning at edge, use a pancake turner to mark the candy into 1-inch squares (do not break through film). Continue pressing along marks, pressing deeper each time. When spatula can be pressed to bottom of pan, and candy retains impressions, candy will be shaped in puffs.
6. Cool completely; turn out on board and break into squares.