Preparation / Directions:
Makes 1 pound
1. Stir together sugar and cornstarch in heavy 3-quart saucepan; stir in corn syrup, water and margarine.
2. Stirring constantly, cook over medium heat until mixture boils.
3. Without stirring, continue cooking until temperature on candy thermometer registers 266 F., or a small amount of mixture dropped into very cold water forms a ball that is hard enough to hold its shape, yet plastic.
4. Stir in salt; pour into greased 9 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan and let stand until cool enough to handle.
5. Add vanilla and food color.
6. Pull until taffy has a satin-like finish and light color. Pull into long strips 1/2 inch wide.
7. Cut into 1-inch pieces; wrap immediately in waxed paper or plastic wrap.