Preparation / Directions:
1. In a large saucepan, cover the horehound with water. Bring to a boil then simmer for 10 minutes. Strain well.
2. Butter an 8 inch square (20 cm square) baking pan and set aside.
3. Ladle 2 cups of the liquid into a large kettle. Add the brown sugar, corn syrup and cream of tartar. Boil, stirring often until candy thermometer reaches 240Á F (115Á C).
4. Add the butter. Continue to boil until thermometer reaches 300Á F (150Á C).
5. Remove from heat and add the lemon juice. Pour at once into a buttered, 8 inch square (20 cm square) pan.
6. As the candy cools, score it into small squares. Remove from the pan as soon as the candy is cool. Store in recloseable plastic bags. Horehoud is not only one of the Christmas manger herbs, it is also a favorite flavoring for a soothing candy lozenge. This recipe is provided by Deborah Harding who authored this month's article on manger her