|Course : Candy
Serves: 1 pound
Preparation / Directions:
1. Stir. together sugar, water, corn syrup and salt in heavy 2-quart saucepan; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils.
2. Reduce heat and continue boiling gently, without stirring, until temperature reaches 255 F. on candy thermometer, or a small amount of mixture dropped into very cold water forms a ball that is hard enough to hold its shape, yet plastic.
3. Beat egg whites in large mixer bowl until stiff peaks form when beater is raised.
4. Beating constantly at high speed, pour hot syrup in fine stream over egg whites; beat in vanilla and orange extract.
5. Continue beating until mixture begins to lose its gloss and a small amount of mixture holds its shape when dropped from spoon. (If mixture becomes too stiff for mixer, beat with wooden spoon.)
6. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto waxed paper; place a nut half or candied cherry into center of each drop. Let stand until set.
NOTE: To use chopped nuts: Omit nut halves and cherries and stir 1/2 cup chopped nuts into mixture before dropping on waxed paper.