Preparation / Directions:
Makes 3 1/2 dozen candies
1. Melt shortening in top of double boiler over hot water; add cocoa and stir until smooth. Set aside over warm water.
2. Combine sugar, salt, corn syrup and water in a 2-quart saucepan; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves and mixture boils.
3. Boil, without stirring, until temperature registers 246 F. on candy thermometer; then beat egg whites in large mixer bowl until stiff peaks form.
4. Continue to cook until syrup registers 260 F. (hard-ball stage) or until a small amount of syrup dropped into very cold water forms a hard ball; remove from heat.
5. Immediately pour syrup in a thin stream into egg whites, beating on high speed.
6. Add vanilla; beat until candy begins to hold its shape.
7. Quickly blend in cocoa mixture; stir in walnuts.
8. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto waxed paper-covered baking sheet; store in an airtight container.