Preparation / Directions:
Makes about 4 dozen squares
1. Soak gelatin in cold water 10 minutes.
2. Combine sugar, cocoa and hot water in a heavy saucepan; cook, stirring constantly, until sugar is dissolved.
3. Blend in gelatin and bring to a boil; cook slowly over low heat about 15 minutes, or until temperature registers 220 F. on candy thermometer without stirring.
4. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla and cool, undisturbed, for about 30 minutes.
5. Line bottom of 8-inch square pan with waxed paper. Pour in cooled mixture; let stand 24 hours, then invert onto a well-sugared surface.
6. Carefully peel off paper; cut into squares and roll in granulated sugar.