Preparation / Directions:
Makes about 3/4 pound
1. Stir together sugar, corn syrup, water and cream of tartar in heavy 2-quart saucepan; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils.
2. Continue cooking, without stirring, until temperature registers 266 F. on candy thermometer, or until a small amount dropped into very cold water forms a ball that is hard enough to hold its shape, yet plastic.
3. Remove from heat; stir in chocolate.
4. Pour into a greased 8 x 8 x 2-inch pan; let stand until cool enough to handle.
5. Grease hands with margarine. Pull until taffy has a satin-like finish; pull into long strips 3/4 inch wide.
6. Cut into 1-inch pieces with scissors; wrap pieces individually in waxed paper or plastic wrap.