Preparation / Directions:
Makes 3 to 4 dozen pieces
1. Mix together sugar, water and chocolate syrup in a heavy 3-quart saucepan; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves and mixture boils.
2. Cook to hard-ball stage or until temperature registers 250 F. on candy thermometer without stirring. Remove pan from heat.
3. Immediately beat egg whites until stiff.
4. Pour hot syrup in a thin stream over beaten egg whites, beating constantly at high speed in electric mixer; continue beating until mixture forms peaks when dropped from a spoon, about 10 minutes.
5. Quickly stir in vanilla and melted baking chocolate by hand; blend in nuts.
6. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto waxed paper; cool.