Preparation / Directions:
Makes about 36 slices
1. Combine sugars, maple syrup, cream, butter, salt and baking chocolate in heavy 3-quart saucepan; bring gently to boiling point, stirring constantly.
2. Cover and cook 5 minutes.
3. Remove cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture forms soft ball in cold water, or registers 236 F. on candy thermometer.
4. Cool until bottom of pan feels lukewarm.
5. Beat mixture vigorously until fudge begins to lose its gloss and holds its shape; turn out onto a buttered surface.
6. Knead fudge until it can be shaped, keeping hands well buttered.
7. Shape into two 9-inch rolls. Brush with slightly beaten egg white; roll immediately in pecans, pressing nuts into roll to coat.
8. Wrap and chill until ready to slice.