Preparation / Directions:
Makes 1 1/4 pounds
1. Stir together sugar, corn syrup, cream and water in a heavy 3-quart saucepan.
2. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils.
3. Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until temperature registers 260 F. on candy thermometer, or until a small amount of mixture dropped into very cold water forms a ball that is hard enough to hold its shape, yet plastic.
4. Add margarine; continue cooking, stirring constantly, until temperature registers 280 F. on candy thermometer, or until a small amount of mixture dropped into very cold water separates into threads that are hard but not brittle.
5. Turn into a greased 8 x 8 x 2-inch pan; cool until film forms on top.
6. Use a sharp knife to mark candy into 1/2-inch squares. (Do not break through film.)
7. Using a flat metal spatula, continue pressing along marks, pressing deeper each time. When spatula can be pressed to bottom of pan, candy will be shaped into puffs.
8. Cool completely; turn out on board and break into pieces.