Preparation / Directions:
*(pepper-mint, lemon or orange)
Makes enough for two 8 x 8 x 2-inch pans of hard candy squares or about a dozen 4 1/2- inch lollipops
1. Stir together sugar, corn syrup and water in heavy 3-quart saucepan; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and sugar is dissolved.
2. Boil, without stirring, until temperature registers 310 F. on candy thermometer, or until small amount of mixture when dropped into very cold water separates into threads which are hard and brittle.
3. Remove from heat; add flavoring oil or extract and desired food coloring.
4. When temperature drops below 280 F. on candy thermometer, pour tablespoonfuls of syrup onto pointed ends of wooden skewers. Let stand until cool and set. Or spread syrup on oiled pan, let cool, and break into squares.
Cookie Cutter Candles Variation)
1. Follow basic recipe for hard candy, steps 1 through 3.
2. Grease interior edges of metal cookie cutters; place cookie cutters on greased cookie sheet.
3. Pour small amount of syrup mixture into each cutter to 1/8-inch thickness; let cool.
4. Carefully push candy out of cutters.