Preparation / Directions:
1. Line bottom and sides of 8 inch round bamboo pan with wax paper or aluminum foil.
2. Separate egg whites and yolks. Beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry. Lightly beat yolks with vanilla and water.
3. Sift flour with baking powder first, then again with sugar. Start heating water for steamer.
4. Mix sifted flour, baking powder, and sugar into egg yolk mixture and stir in food coloring. Fold in beaten egg whites to the batter.
5. Pour batter into prepared pan and rap pan sharply on the table several times to remove large air bubbles. Steam over medium high heat for 20-25 minutes until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
6. When cake is done invert onto plate. Pull paper off and turn cake right side up. The Chinese prefer to eat this cake while still hot. It can also be eaten cold.