Preparation / Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour 2 round 9 inch pans.
2. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, eggs, buttermilk, 1/4 cup amaretto and oil. Beat for 4 minutes on medium speed. Pour into 2 round 9 inch pans.
3. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean. Cool completely. When cool, slice each layer in half horizontally, making 4 layers.
4. Make apricot filling by combining drained apricots and 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons amaretto in a blender. Process until smooth. Place bottom layer of cake on serving dish. Spread 1/3 of apricot filling on cake layer, then repeat with other layers. Frost with Amaretto Cheese Frosting.
5. To make Amaretto Cheese Frosting: In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese and 3 tablespoons amaretto until soft. Add confectioners sugar and beat until smooth. Frost top and sides of cake.
Makes 2 layer 9 inch cake