Preparation / Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Butter and flour 2 9-inch cake pans.
2. Make the Cake: In a double boiler, melt the white chocolate over
hot, not simmering, water. Set aside to cool slightly.
3. In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar.
Beat in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. On
low speed, add the melted chocolate and the vanilla. In three
additions, on low speed, alternately beat in the flour mixture and
the milk. Beat until just smooth, about 20 seconds.
4. Pour the batter into the prepared pans and bake for 25 - 30
minutes or until the top is golden and a cake tester inserted in the
center comes out clean. Set the cake pans on a wire rack to cool for
20 minutes. Then invert the cakes onto the racks to cool completely.
5. Prepare the Filling and Frosting: Place the white chocolate in a
medium bowl. In a small heavy saucepan, bring 1 1/2 cups of the cream
and the butter to a simmer. Pour over the chocolate. Let stand,
covered, for 5 minutes, then stir until smooth. Refrigerate the white
chocolate mixture until firm enough to spread, about 1 hour.
6. To Assemble: Spread the bottom layer with 1 cup of the chilled
white chocolate mixture. Arrange the chopped macadamia nuts over the
filling, and top with the second cake layer.
7. In a medium bowl, beat the remaining 1 cup cream until firm peaks
form. Fold the whipped cream into the remaining white chocolate
mixture. Spread this over the top and sides of the cake. Arrange
whole macadamia nuts around the rim and base of the cake. Chill until
ready to serve. Garnish each piece with a fanned strawberry or