Preparation / Directions:
Makes 2 cakes
1. Scald milk. Cool to lukewarm.
2. Add yeast to warm water and stir until dissolved.
3. Add milk, 1/2 cup sugar, salt, shortening, eggs and half of flour; beat until smooth.
4. Stir in enough remaining flour so dough will not stick to bowl; knead on lightly floured board until smooth and elastic.
5. Place in greased bowl. Turn to grease top; cover and let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk.
6. Punch down. Let rise again.
7. Divide dough in halves; roll each into 15 x 9-inch oblong.
8. Spread with butter; sprinkle with 1/2 cup sugar, cinnamon, raisins, nuts and cherries.
9. Roll as for jelly roll; seal edges.
10. Place on greased baking sheets and shape into rings; seal ends.
11. Cut two-thirds through rings at 1-inch intervals; turn each section on its side.
12. Cover and let rise until doubled.
13. Bake in preheated 375 F. oven 30 minutes.