Preparation / Directions:
Makes two 13 x 9-inch cakes
1. Hull and chop 1 pint fresh strawberries; hull and slice remaining pint and set aside.
2. Puree frozen strawberries in blender or food processor.
3. Combine puree, chopped berries, and kirsch in small bowl; cover and chill.
4. Bake 1 cake mix according to package directions.
5. Pour 1/2 the batter into each of 2 greased, floured 13 x 9-inch baking pans.
6. Prepare remaining cake mix according to package directions, using 1/2 water and 1/2 strawberry puree for liquid. (Return remaining puree to refrigerator.)
7. Add red food coloring to tint batter to desired shade of pink.
8. Drizzle 1/2 the pink cake batter over white batter in pan, drawing spatula through cake batters for swirled effect.
9. Bake and cool cakes as directed on package.
10. To serve, cut into 2-inch squares.
11. Add sliced strawberries to remaining chilled puree mixture.
12. Serve cake squares topped with strawberry sauce and whipped cream or plain. yogurt, as desired.