Preparation / Directions:
Makes 1 large cake
1. Cream together shortening and sugar; add egg, beating well.
2. Sift together flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating after each addition.
3. Divide batter into 2 parts; leave one half plain and add molasses and spices to one part.
4. Spoon batters alternately into greased 9 x 9 x 2-inch pan; zigzag spatula through batter.
5. Sprinkle Spice-Nut Topping over cake; bake in preheated 350 F. oven 30 minutes, or until done.
Spice-Nut Topping Mix together all ingredients; sprinkle on cake.