Preparation / Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 175 øC .
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, brown sugar and margarine.
3. Blend at low speed, until the mixture forms fine crumbs.
4. If you want to include them, stir in the nuts now.
5. Place 400 g of the crumb mixture into an ungreased 33x22 cm pan. Press down firmly.
6. Add the remaining ingredients (except for the apples) to the remaining crumb mixture. Blend well.
7. Stir the chopped apples into the batter. Spoon the batter evenly over the crumb base in the pan.
8. Bake at 175 øC for 30-40 minutes. If you use the larger pan, bake for 25-30 minutes.
9. Cool before cutting. Better yet, let it wait 24 hours before cutting.
10 . Store loosely covered.
Try to avoid eating very many of these squares on the day you make them, as they improve immeasurably on the second and third day! This recipe originally came from a Pillsbury bake-off.
Difficulty : easy.
Precision : approximate measurement O