Preparation / Directions:
1. Place oven rack in center of oven; heat to 350~F. Coat sides and ends of 15-1/2 x 10-1/2 x 1 inch jellly-roll pan with oil; line pan with oiled parchment or waxed paper, overhanging 1 inch on one end of the pan. Reserve.
2. Melt chocolate with 2 tablespoons of the espresso and the creme de cacao.
3. Beat egg yolks in medium mixer bowl at high speed 1 minute; gradually beat in granulated sugar. Continue beating until mix- ture is pale yellow and slightly thick; about 3 minutes. Gradually beat chocolate mixture into egg-yolk mixture.
4. Beat egg whites in large mixer bowl at high speed until stiff but not dry peaks form. Fold chocolate mixture thoroughly into whites.
5. Spread mixture in reserved pan in even layer using the back of a large wet spoon. Bake 15 minutes.
6. Transfer pan to wire rack and cover with a slightly dampened lightweight kitchen towel; cool to room temperature. (Cake can be set aside covered at room temperature 2 to 3 hours). Remove towel.
7. Overlap, side by side, two 16-inch sheets of waxed paper on work surface. Sprinkle top of cake evenly with cocoa. Loosen sides and ends of cake. Invert cake onto waxed paper; remove pan and peel parchment liner from cake. Reserve cake.
8. Whip cream in chilled mixer bowl at high sped until soft peaks form. Add powdered sugar and vanilla. Continue beating cream while drizzling in remaining 3 tablespoons espresso; beat until stiff peaks form.
9. Spoon whipped cream onto cake; spread evenly, leaving 1-inch border of cake uncovered along one long side and both ends. Beginning with the long side covered with cream, carefully roll up cake jelly-roll fashion (use the waxed paper to help turn the roll, but do not roll paper into the cake). Work as gently as possible. (Cake will crack a bit on the sides). Then roll entire cake snugly in waxed paper; place seam-side down on baking sheet. Refrigerate until well chilled, about 2 hours.
10. Prepare Chocolate Glaze.
11. Wile glaze is cooling, fold a 15 x 7-1/2 inch piece of parchment paper wit a letter-fold to form a triple-thickness 15 x 2-1/2 inch strip. Place wire rack (or two small racks) long enough to accommodate length of roll, on baking sheet, and place parchment strip lengthwise on rack. Remove waxed paper from cake; place cake seam-side down on parchment strip.
12. Pour Chocolate Glaze very slowly over cake to coat evenly; use a spatula to spread around bottom curve of cake. (Scrape glaze drippings from baking sheet with spatula into small bowl; let stand 3 minutes. Drizzle crosswise over cake at 1/2 inch intervals, building up smooth ridges, if desired.)
13. Refrigerate cake until glaze sets, about 45 minutes. Transfer cake to serving platter. Cut roll cross- wise into 1 to 1-1/2 inch slices. Serve immediately.
Chocolate Glaze Measure butter, coffee, rum and corn syrup into small saucepan. Heat over low heat to boiling; boil slowly, stirring constantly, 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in chocolate and whisk until smooth. Let stand until glaze cools and thickly coats a wooden spoon dipped into it, about 12 minutes. Use immediately.
From the recipe files of Barb @ P K