Preparation / Directions:
Poach the pears:
1. In a medium non-corrosive saucepan combine the water, sugar,
lemon slices and vanilla bean.
2. Peel the pears and using a small scoop or teaspoon, carefully
scoop out the bloom end and the core of the pear. Place the pear
immediately into the water/sugar mixture to prevent browning.
Repeat with the remaining pears.
3. Bring the pears to a boil over medium-high heat, while stirring
gently. Reduce the heat to low. Cover the pears with a clean dish
towel to keep the pears submerged. Simmer for about 20 minutes
or until the pears are tender when pierced with a paring knife.
Remove the pears and syrup to a medium bowl and cool completely.
Refrigerate until well chilled.
Make the rice cakes:
1. Heat a medium noncorrosive saucepan over medium high heat.
Add the nuts and stir for 1 1/2 minutes to toast the nuts. Add the
milk, rice, sugar and salt and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally
Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer gently, stirring often,
for 35 to 40 minutes or until the rice is very soft and absorbs
all of the milk. The rice will be very sticky. Stir often during
the last 10 minutes of cooking, so the rice doesn't burn.
2. When the rice is cooked, transfer to a medium bowl and stir
in the diced fruits and vanilla. Set the bowl in a larger bowl filled
with ice water to cool.
3. When the rice is cool, divide the mixture into 6 balls . Place
the rice balls on a platter, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate
until well chilled and ready to serve.
Make the raspberry sauce:
1. In a medium noncorrosive saucepan, combine the raspberries
and sugar. Cook over medium-low-heat, stirring constantly with
a wooden spoon, until the sugar dissolves and the berries soften.
Remove the pan from the heat. Strain the raspberry mixture through
a fine sieve into a bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and
refrigerate the sauce.
Assemble the dessert:
1. Flatten one of the chilled rice balls to a patty that is 1 inch
high. Place in the center of a plate and set one of the poached
pears on top of the rice patty. Spoon 2 to 3 tablespoons of the
sauce around the plate. Repeat with the remaining rice patties
and poached pears.
PREPARATI0N: 2 hours, plus cooling tim