Preparation / Directions:
Makes one 8-inch cake
1. Melt 1/4 cup margarine in 8-inch square pan; stir in brown sugar, spreading evenly over bottom of pan.
2. Drain pineapple, reserving syrup; arrange pineapple in pan.
3. Place cherries in center of pineapple rings.
4. Cream together remaining margarine and sugar; add egg and vanilla.
5. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; alternately add flour mixture and reserved pineapple syrup to margarine mixture, beating just until smooth.
6. Pour batter evenly over fruit in pan; bake in preheated 350 F. oven 40 minutes, or until done.
7. Cool in pan 5 minutes; invert onto serving plate and serve warm.
8. Top with whipped cream, if desired.