Preparation / Directions:
1. Pour 2 cups burbon or whickey over raisins and cherries. Soak in
container for 48 hours. Before mixing in cake, drain well and
2. Soften butter at room temerature and cream until until light.
sugar and beat until fluffy.
3. Beat egg yolks until very light, then add brown sugar and beat
well to dissoolve
4. In very large lowl, combine 2 sugar mixtures and blend well.
5. Mix nutmeg and baking powder with 4 and 1/2 cups flour. Mix other
1/2 cup flour
with nuts. Add flour mixture alternately with bourbon to
mixing well after each addition.
6. Add soaked fruit and fold in, and then the nuts and fold in.
7. Beat egg whites until stiff but not dry. Fold into batter until
8. Pour into greased 10" tube pan lined with greased brown paper
9. Place pan of water in botton of oven and bake 4-5 hrs. @ 275
baking time as ovens vary. Test with toothpick about 2" from
outer edge of cake.
May take longer than 5 hrs.
10. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes before turning
out. When almost
cooled, sponge sides and inside hole heavily with
Cover the cake with this cloth, then in plastic wrap. Let stand
overnight and saturate
again. Recover with plastic wrap and then with foil and store
for at least 2 weeks...then