Preparation / Directions:
Makes three 9 x 5-inch cakes or one 10-inch tube cake
1. Chop cherries, pineapple, citron, orange peel and lemon peel; chop pecans coarsely.
2. Snip dates and raisins into small pieces with scissors, dipping blades into hot water now and then.
3. Combine fruit with currants and nuts in a large bowl; add 1 or 2 tablespoons flour and toss to coat fruit thoroughly.
4. Cream together butter and brown sugar until fluffy; add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
5. Stir in vanilla and lemon and orange juices.
6. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, allspice and cinnamon.
7. Beat together jelly and rum until smooth.
8. Add flour and jelly mixtures alternately to creamed mixture, blending well; stir in fruit mixture. (Batter will be very stiff, so a wooden paddle or scraper will mix it efficiently.)
9. Turn batter into 3 greased, floured 9 x 5-inch loaf pans, or a 10-inch tube pan, which have been lined with waxed paper, filling them no more than three-quarters full; smooth tops.
10. Bake in preheated 275 F. oven until a cake tester inserted near center comes out clean. (Loaf cakes will take 2 1/2 hours; a tube cake 3 to 4 hours or longer.)
11. Cool cakes in pans; remove from pans and moisten with rum or brandy.
12. Wrap in foil or plastic wrap and store in a cool place.
NOTE: Delicious and can be made ahead and allowed to ripen for holiday entertaining or gift-giving.