Preparation / Directions:
To make the torte: 1. In a food processor or blender process the nuts until fine.
2. Add Splenda, egg yolks, flour, baking powder, 1/3 cup evaporate milk and vanilla. Save remaining evaporated milk to use in yogurt cream. Process until smooth.
3. In a large bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold in nut mixutre.
4. Spread evenly in 3 greased 8" layer cake pans.
5. Bake at 350F for 15-20 min or until done. Cool in pans 5 minutes, then remove to rack.
6. Meanwhile prepare the filling.
To Make the filling:
1. In a small heavy saucepan, combine the splenda, cornstarch and salt.
2. Stir in a large can of evaporated milk and cook over medium heat until thickened.
3. Reduce and simmer over low for 1 minutes.
4. Gradually stir milk mixture into egg yolks, return to saucepan, cook and stir for 1 minute.
5. Pour into bowl, stir in lemon rind and juice. Cover and chill.
To assemble: 1. Spread cooled fillin onto two cake layers and stack with third layer on top.
2. Spread top of cake with fluffy yogurt cream.
3. Chill until serving time.
4. Garnish with lemon slices and hazelnuts if desired. To make Fluffy Yogurt Cream
1. In a small cup add water to gelatine; let stand 2 minutes to soften.
2. Heat milk in microwave on hugh 1 minute; until steaming.
3. Stir some of the hot milk into the gelatine to dissolve.
4. Combine dissolved gelatine and remaining hot milk in a deep 6 cup bowl.
5. Chill in freezer (long with beaters) or 15-20 minutes or until milk begins to set.
6. Beat at high speed with chilled beaters for 1 minute.
7. Gradually beat in splenda, beating 1 more minute (2 minutes total).
8. Gently stir in yogurt and lemon rind.