Preparation / Directions:
1. Sift flour with the cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, soda, and salt. Coat the raisins with some of the flour mixture. Put some of the flour mixture on a board and coat the gumdrops with it. Working on the floured board, cut the gumdrops into small pieces (the flour keeps them from sticking to each other).
2. Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a small saucepan. Saute the pecans in the butter until they are golden brown and crisp. Cool, then coat in some of the flour mixture.
3. Cream the remaining butter and sugar together until well blended and fluffy. Combine the eggs, applesauce, and vanilla.
4. Add applesauce mixture and flour mixture alternately to the creamed butter and sugar. Stir in raisins, gumdrops (including any flour from the cutting board), and nuts.
5. Have ready three 18 x 9 x 6 cm loaf pans, which have been greased and then lined with greased brown paper. Pour the thick batter into these.
6. Bake in a 150 øC oven about 2 hours, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean and the cakes are golden brown.
Difficulty : moderate.
Precision : measure ingredients.