Preparation / Directions:
* or 3/4 cup whole milk combined with 2 teaspoons vinegar allowed to stand 5 minutes
1. Melt 1/4 cup butter in 9-inch square pan; blend in brown sugar.
2. Arrange pecan halves in decorative pattern on sugar mixture; sprinkle with coconut and milk. Set aside.
3. Melt chocolate over low heat; cool.
4. Mix flour with sugar, baking soda, baking powder and salt; stir in 1/3 cup butter to soften.
5. Add flour mixture, 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons buttermilk and vanilla; mix until all flour is moistened.
6. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, or 300 vigorous strokes by hand, scraping bowl occasionally.
7. Add melted chocolate, egg and remaining buttermilk; beat 1 minute longer with electric mixer or 150 strokes by hand.
8. Pour over topping in pan; bake in preheated 350 F. oven 45 to 50 minutes, or until cake tester inserted in center comes out clean.
9. Cool cake in pan 5 minutes. invert on serving plate.
10. Serve warm or cooled, topped with prepared whipped topping, if desired.