Preparation / Directions:
1. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large mixing bowl.
2. Add shortening, butter, vanilla and buttermilk; blend on low speed till mixed, then on medium speed for 2 minutes.
3. Add egg whites; beat 2 additional minutes.
4. Pour into a well-greased, floured 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan; bake in preheated 350 F. oven 30 to 35 minutes.
5. Cool in pan 15 minutes.
6. With a fork, carefully pierce cake in pan to its full depth, making parallel rows about 1 inch apart and covering both length and width of cake.
7. Spoon 2 cups Chocolate Syrup Sauce over warm cake, allowing mixture to flow into holes and completely glaze top.
8. Chill in refrigerator several hours, or overnight.
9. Serve with a dollop of Chocolate Syrup Whipped Cream, if desired, or frost with your favorite chocolate frosting.
NOTE: If desired, 1 package (181/2 oz.) white cake mix, baked as directed, can be substituted for the batter.
Chocolate Syrup Sauce Makes about 2 cups sauce
1. Sprinkle gelatin on cold water in medium-size bowl to soften.
2. Add boiling water; stir to completely dissolve gelatin.
3. Add sugar and blend well; stir in chocolate syrup.
Chocolate Syrup Whipped Cream Makes about 2 1/4 cups topping
1. Combine cream, chocolate syrup, sugar and vanilla in small mixing bowl.
2. Whip until mixture holds peaks.