Preparation / Directions:
Burnt Sugar Chiffon Cake:
1. Stir together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in small mixing bowl.
2. Add oil, egg yolks, water, Burnt Sugar Syrup and vanilla. Start at low speed, then, increasing speed slowly, beat at medium speed until very smooth, about 2 minutes.
3. Wash beaters. In large mixer bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff but not dry ( just until whites no longer slip when bowl is tilted).
4. Gently fold yolk mixture into whites until blended.
5. Turn into ungreased 10-inch tube pan; bake in preheated 325 F. oven 70 to 80 minutes, or until top springs back when lightly touched.
6. Invert pan and cool completely. When cool, cut in half horizontally; fill and frost with Burnt Sugar Frosting.
Burnt Sugar Syrup
Makes about 1 cup
1. Melt sugar in heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly until syrup turns deep golden brown.
2. Remove from heat; slowly pour in boiling water, stirring constantly until blended.
3. Cool. Refrigerate any extra syrup.
Burnt Sugar Frosting
About 2 1/4 cups (enough to fill and frost 10-inch tube cake)
1. Combine sugar, water and corn syrup in saucepan; cover and cook over medium heat until rapidly boiling.
2 Uncover; boil rapidly until about 240 F. on candy thermometer, or until a 6- to 8-inch thread forms when dropped from a spoon.
3. While mixture is boiling, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry (just until whites no longer slip when bowl is tilted).
4. Pour hot syrup slowly in a thin stream into egg whites, beating constantly.
5. Add Burnt Sugar Syrup and vanilla; beat at high speed until stiff peaks form and frosting is of spreading consistency, about 6 minutes.