Preparation / Directions:
Makes one 1-inch tube cake
1. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar in large mixing bowl at high speed until foamy.
2. Add granulated sugar, one tablespoon at a time, beating constantly until sugar is dissolved and whites are glossy and stand in soft peaks.
3. Beat in vanilla and almond extracts.
4. Sift flour, confectioners' sugar and salt together twice.
5. Sift about 1/2 cup flour mixture over egg whites and gently fold in just until flour disappears. Repeat folding in remaining flour mixture, 1/2 cup at a time.
6. Turn into ungreased 10-inch tube pan; gently cut through batter with metal spatula.
7. Bake in preheated 350 F. oven 30 to 40 minutes, or until top springs back when touched lightly with finger.
8. Invert cake in pan on funnel or bottle neck.
NOTE: This classic cake is simply a meringue plus flour. Fold gently, but thoroughly, so you do not lose any of the air bubbles. Top cake with custard sauce, fresh fruit or whipped cream, or serve it plai