Preparation / Directions:
1. Sift the flour, baking powder, and salt together twice.
2. Beat the egg whites until stiff, then add 1/4 cup of sugar and set aside.
3. Cream butter until fluffy and add the remaining sugar and egg yolks, mixing well.
4. Add flour, alternating with milk and coconut milk, and blend until smooth.
5. Add vanilla and the 1/4 cup grated coconut. Last, fold in egg whites.
6. Bake in 3 well-buttered 8" circular layer pans in a preheated 350F oven for 30 minutes.
7. Cover with Seven Minute Frosting
8. To prepare Seven Minute Frosting place egg whites, sugar, cold water, cream of tartar or corn syrup, and salt in the top of a double boiler.
9. Pplace over rapidly boiling water, beating constantly with an egg beater, for 7 minutes or until icing will stand in peaks.
10. Remove from heat, add vanilla, and continue to beat until thick enough to spread.
11. When entire cake has been frosted, sprinkle coconut and orange rind generously over the top and sides Then decorate the top with orange sections.