Preparation / Directions:
Makes 2 large loaves
1. Combine coffee and honey in saucepan; bring to a boil. Set aside to cool.
2. Plump currants in brandy; set aside.
3. Blend oil, brown sugar and eggs thoroughly in a large mixing bowl.
4. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and nutmeg.
5. Add flour mixture and coffee mixture alternately to egg mixture.
6. Fold in sliced almonds, currants with brandy and lemon peel.
7. Grease two 9 x 5-inch loaf pans; sprinkle with ground almonds. Pour in batter.
8. Bake in preheated 300 F. oven 1 hour, or until cake springs back to touch or is dry when tested with a toothpick.
9. Cool on rack to room temperature; turn onto serving plate. (To freeze, wrap in foil and pack in plastic bags.)