Preparation / Directions:
1. Sift together flour, sugar and baking powder.
2. Combine egg, water, butter and vanilla; stir into dry ingredients until just blended. 3. In Dutch oven or deep-fat fryer, heat 2 inches oil to 375F.
4. Core apples or pears (do not pare); cut into eighths. Peel bananas and cut into eighths.
5. Dip fruit slice in batter; drop into hot oil and fry until golden on both sides.
6. Drain briefly on paper towels; serve hot with Lemon-bourbon Sauce.
*** LEMON-BOURBON SAUCE *** 1. Combine sugar and cornstarch in small saucepan; stir in water.
2. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture boils and thickens.
3. Remove from heat; stir in butter until melted.
4. Add bourbon, lemon rind and juice; mix well.
5. Serve warm or cold.