Preparation / Directions:
1. To prepare artichoke for stuffing, hold it by its stalk and pound it, leaves down, on a drain board until leaves open; rinse well.
2. Cut bottom stems off flat so artichokes can remain standing.
3. With scissors, trim points of leaves approximately 1/2 inch.
4. Soak artichokes in cold water.
5. Mix bread crumbs, grated cheese, garlic and lemon juice; a little olive oil may be added to hold mixture together.
6. Starting at bottom row of leaves, pull open each leaf with one hand and fill with the other.
7. Draw leaves as lightly together as possible.
8. Stand artichokes upright in deep pot, wedged together so they won't fall over.
9. Drizzle a little olive oil over each artichoke.
10. Add about 2 inches water to pot; cover pot and steam artichokes until done. (Cooking time varies according to size and toughness. Check after 30 minutes; if leaf pulls easily, artichokes are done.