Preparation / Directions:
1. Heat oil in large frying pan, add flour when oil begins to bubble.
2. Add the chopped vegetables and garlic at the same time.
3. Reduce heat and stir constantly until flour is a very dark brown.
4. Add water (at least 2 cups) very gradually or grease will pop. Continue stirring and adding water until you have a creamy smooth gravy that is almost the color of dark chocolate, but not burned. This is a time consuming process that takes about one half hour but if you rush it you will have a lumpy mess.
5. Add the crawfish with the fat, all of the herbs, plus the lemon juice and Worcestershire.
6. Simmer for 20 minutes.
7. Add salt and cayenne or Tabasco, or both and check for taste and seasonings before you add too much. It gets hotter as you eat more.
Cookin' Country Cajun cookboo