Preparation / Directions:
1. In small mixer bowl, thoroughly mix 1/3 cup flour, 1/2 cup sugar, the salt, nutmeg and active dry yeast.
2. Gradually add water to dry ingredients; beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scarping bowl occasionally.
3. Add eggs and 1/2 cup flour, or enough flour to make thick batter; beat at high speed 1 minute, scraping bowl occasionally.
4. Add rice and beat 1 minute longer.
5. Stir in enough additional flour to make very soft dough.
6. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in bulk, about 30 minutes.
7. Heat oil to 370F.
8. Stir batter down; drop by tablespoons into hot oil and fry, turning once, until deep golden brown, about 3 minutes.
9. Drain on paper towels and roll in sugar; serve warm.
NOTE: Until recent years, women selling calas were daily-morning figures on the streets of New Orleans. Upon hearing their cries, "Belle calas, tout chaud, " Creole cooks rushed out to get them fresh.