Preparation / Directions:
1. Wipe roast; insert garlic slivers into roast and coat all sides well with seasoned flour. 2. Place meat in large roasting pan with vegetable oil and onion; roast uncovered in preheated 500F oven 30 minutes, until browned on all sides.
3. Remove from oven; reduce temperature to 300F.
4. Surround meat with bell pepper, celery, carrots, tomatoes, parsley, bay leaves and water; season with salt and pepper.
5. Cover pan, return to oven and roast 1 1/2 hours.
6. Add potatoes; roast 1 hour longer.
7. Remove lid (to brown vegetables and reduce stock); roast about 30 minutes longer.
8. Correct seasonings; transfer roast and vegetables to heated platter.
9. Heat stock over direct heat to brown and thicken gravy. 10. Spoon gravy over sliced meat and vegetables.