Preparation / Directions:
1. In large mixing bowl, blend sugar and water; stir in nutmeg.
2. Beat in eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. 3. Gradually blend in enough flour to make a stiff dough that can be easily handled.
4. Turn out onto lightly floured surface; divide in half.
5. Roll out each half 1/2-inch thick.
6. With floured 2 1/2-inch doughnut cutter, cut out doughnuts.
7. Heat oil to 375F.; deep-fry doughnuts until golden brown, turning once. 8. Drain thoroughly on paper towels.
9. Dust with sugar, is desired.
NOTE: New Orleans is known for its fried cakes. The name derives from the French verb "croquer, " to crunch.