Preparation / Directions:
1. Add garlic cloves to beef broth in saucepan; cover and simmer 15 minutes, or until garlic is soft.
2. Remove garlic and reserve; add water and sherry to broth and heat to serving temperature.
3. Toast bread on one side under broiler; remove and spread untoasted sides with butter.
4. Mash reserved garlic and spread over bread; sprinkle with cheese.
5. Broil toast until brown and bubbly, about 30 seconds.
6. Place a piece of toast in each of four soup bowls; ladle hot soup over and serve.
NOTE: This soup shows the Spanish influence on Creole cooking.