Preparation / Directions:
1. Soften yeast in warm water; let stand 5 minutes.
2. Meanwhile combine butter, sugar and salt in large bowl; pour hot water over mixture.
3. Cool to lukewarm; stir, then blend in 1/2 cup of the flour, beating until smooth.
4. Stir yeast; add to flour mixture, blending in thoroughly.
5. Add about half the remaining flour and beat until very smooth.
6. Mix in remaining flour to make a soft dough.
7. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; let rest 5 to 10 minutes.
8. Lightly grease deep bowl large enough to allow dough to double.
9. Knead dough; shape into smooth ball and put in greased bowl; turning to bring greased surface to top.
10. Cover with waxed paper or towel; let stand in warm, draft-free place until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.
11. Punch down; pull edges to center, then turn dough completely over.
12. Cover; let rise again until almost doubled (about 45 minutes).
13. Meanwhile, grease baking sheet lightly; sprinkle evenly with cornmeal.
14. Punch down dough; turn out onto lightly floured surface.
15. Roll out to 14x8-inch rectangle; roll up rectangle tightly into a long slender loaf and pinch ends to seal.
16. Place loaf diagonally on prepared baking sheet.
17. With sharp knife, make diagonal slashes at 2-inch intervals.
18. Brush top with part of egg white mixture; cover loosely and let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk.
19. Brush loaf again with remaining egg wash; bake in preheated 425F oven 10 minutes.
20. Brush again with egg wash; reduce temperature to 375F. and bake 20 minutes longer, or until golden brown.
NOTE: To increase crustiness, place flat pan filled with boiling water in bottom of oven.