Preparation / Directions:
1. Clean fish and remove head and tail; cut across backbone into slices 2 to 3 inches wide.
2. In Dutch oven, heat butter, then stir in flour until smooth; cook 10 minutes until brown, stirring constantly.
3. Reduce heat; stir in onion, bell pepper and celery.
4. Cook vegetables until soft, stirring often.
5. Add tomatoes and cook 5 minutes, then stir in herbs and seasonings.
6. Slowly stir in 1 cup reserved tomato liquid and the water; simmer 5 minutes.
7. Add fish slices and adjust seasonings; cover and simmer 30 minutes.
8. Transfer fish slices to platter and remove bones; return fish to "courtbouillon."
9. Add wine; cover, bring to a boil, then serve immediately in soup plates with hot rice.