Preparation / Directions:
1. Cut the cabbage in half and soak in salted water for 15 minutes. Agitate and drain well. Shred the cabbage.
2. Heat the bacon fat or butter in a large heavy skillet and add the diced potatoes. Cook over medium heat until lightly browned.
3. Add 2 chopped onions and cook until transparent, about 5 minutes.
4. Add cabbage and toss well with two wooden spoons, z(gaa la stir-fry. When the cabbage starts to wilt, add salt and freshly-ground black pepper to taste and a splash of that beer in your left hand and 15 ml wine vinegar.
5. Cover, with lid slightly askew, and simmer over low heat until tender (about 30-45 minutes).
Author's Notes: With a nod toward Nancy Mintz who reminded me how good cabbage can be, especially in the winter time when other fresh veggies are scarc