Preparation / Directions:
ABOUT 4 HOURS BEFORE SERVING3 OR EARLY IN DAY:
1. In large bowl, combine yeast, salt, 2 cups flour, and 1/2 cup sugar. In small saucepan over low heat, heat milk, 4 tablespoons margarine or butter (1/2 stick), and 1/2 cup water until very warm (120F to 130F degrees). (Margarine or butter does not need to melt completely.) With mixer at low speed, gradually beat liquid into dry ingredients. Increase speed to medium; add eggs and beat 2 minutes, occasionally scraping bowl with rubber spatula. Beat in 1 cup flour to make a thick batter; continue beating 2 minutes, occasionally scraping bowl. With spoon, stir in 2 cups flour to make a soft dough.
2. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes, working in more flour (about 1/2 Cup) while kneading. Shape dough into ball and place in greased large bowl, turning dough over to grease top. Cover with towel; let rise in warm place (80F to 85F degrees), away from draft, until doubled, about 1 hour. (Dough is doubled when two fingers pressed lightly into dough leave a dent.)
3. Punch down dough by pushing down center with fist, then pushing edges of dough into center. Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; Cut dough in half; cover with bowl and let rest 15 minutes for easier shaping.
4. Meanwhile, in small bowl, combine lemon peel, mace, and 1/2 cup sugar. In small saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons margarine or butter. Grease 10-inch tube pan.
5. Cut each dough half into 16 pieces. Shape each piece into 1 ball by tucking ends under. Place half of balls in tube pan; brush with half of melted margarine or butter; sprinkle with half of lemon mixture. Repeat with remaining balls, melted margarine, and lemon mixture. Cover with towel; let rise in warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes. (Dough is doubled when one finger very lightly pressed against dough leaves a dent.)
6. Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Bake bubble ring 35 minutes or until golden and loaf sounds hollow when lightly tapped with fingers. Cool in pan 5 minutes; remove from pan. Cool slightly on wire rack to serve warm or cool completely to serve later .