Preparation / Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C). Butter a 9 x 9 x 2 inch
2. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in medium nonstick skillet over medium-low
Add onion and saute until tender, about 10 minutes. Cool.
3. Mix cornmeal with the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and baking soda
large bowl. Add 7 tablespoons butter and rub with fingertips until mixture
resembles coarse meal.
4. Whisk buttermilk and eggs in medium bowl to blend. Add buttermilk
to dry ingredients and stir until blended. Mix in cheese, corn, red peppers,
basil and onion. Transfer to prepared pan.
5. Bake corn bread until golden and tester inserted comes out clean, about
minutes. Cool 20 minutes in pan. Cut cornbread into squares.
Makes 1 - 9 x 9 inch pan