Preparation / Directions:
Makes 1 large loaf
1. Mix together bananas and shortening; add lemon extract and eggs, blending well.
2. Sift together sugar, cake flour, baking powder and salt; add to banana-egg mixture, blending well.
3. Dissolve baking soda in buttermilk; add to banana-flour mixture along with walnuts, stirring only enough to mix well.
4. Pour into well-greased, floured 10 x 5 x 3-inch baking pan; top with remaining walnuts for garnish.
5. Bake in preheated 350 F. oven 1 hour, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
6. Cool on wire rack.
NOTE: Delicious to slice for dessert topped with a dollop of orange yogurt, or sliced to serve at coffee or tea breaks. Bread freezes well.