Preparation / Directions:
1. Soften yeast in lukewarm water.
2. Beat 2 eggs until very light; add salt and stir into yeast liquid.
3. Put flour into a bowl. Make a well in the center; pour in egg mixture and thoroughly with a wooden spoon until smooth.
4. Beat remaining egg until very light; mix into dough.
5. Cover dough; let dough rise for 1 hour in a warm place free from drafts until doubled in bulk.
6. Punch down and beat in sugar and melted butter; cover and let rise until doubled bulk.
7. Grease 8 individual custard cups with additional butter; fill each 1/3 full and let until cups are nearly full. 8. Bake in preheated 400 F. oven 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden.
9. Loosen with spatula; turn out on wire racks.
10. Set babas upside down in pan; pour Apricot Syrup over them, basting with syrup they cool.
Apricot Syrup 1. Drain apricots, reserving syrup; puree fruit.
2. Measure 3/4 cup of each; set aside.
3. Melt 1/2 cup sugar over moderate heat, stirring constantly; add water and cook a few minutes. (There should be 1/4 cup caramel.)
4. Add apricot syrup, puree and remaining sugar; cook 5 to 6 minutes longer.
5. Remove from heat; add lemon juice and rum flavoring to taste.