Preparation / Directions:
1. Sprinkle yeast over warm water in a small bowel with a little honey or
sugar, stir briefly, stand until foamy about 5 minutes. Stir in milk - set
2. Mix 3 cups of flour (or 2-3/4) and baking powder and salt in a large
With a pastry blender or two knives, cut in butter like you would biscuits
or if you have nonsweaty hands rub as the English do with your fingers
until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Sweaty hands melt the butter and this
is no good.
3. Add yeast mixture and stir gently until evenly moistened.
4. Turn dough onto lightly floured board and knee only 2 to 3 minutes,
adding more flour as needed to prevent sticking.
5. Shape dough into a lumpy 5 to 6 inch round.
6. Dust lightly with flour and place in a greased 8 inch round cake pan or
whatever shapes you want. With a razor blade or sharp knife make an x
shape cut about 1/2 inch deep and 3 inches long in top of loaf.
7. Bake on lowest rack of oven 375 degrees until well browned -- about 55
If you like a crusty loaf spray the oven a few times with a mist of water
8. Turn out onto a rack and let cool briefly. Serve warm. Makes 1 loaf.
I use a large crockery soup bowl that is ovenproof, with a handle to make
this. It is lovely.