Preparation / Directions:
1. Combine ground beef, onion and garlic in a large frying-pan; cook, stirring
frequently until beef loses pink color. Pour off drippings.
2. Add mushrooms, bay leaf, salt, chili powder, cumin powder, and cinnamon; cook, stirring
frequently, until mushrooms are tender about 5 minutes.
3. Stir in tomato sauce and wine; cook, covered, 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Remove bay leaf. Cool while preparing cheese filling. Combine egg and cream
cheese in medium bowl, beat with electric mixer until smooth. Stir in
cottage and feta cheeses and blend. Brush 13 x 9-inch baking pan with
5. Line pan with 1 sheet of pastry, fitting pastry to contour of pan. (Pastry will come up over edges of pan.) Brush pastry with butter.
Layer with 3 more pastry sheets, brushing each with butter.
6. Sprinkle bread crumbs evenly over top. Spoon 1/5 of meat filling in layer over crumbs and 1/5 of the cheese filling over meat. Place 1 pastry sheet over cheese filling, crinkling to fit inside dimensions of pan; brush with butter and layer with 1/5 of the meat and 1/5 to the cheese fillings.
7. Repeat with 3 more pastry sheets, crinkling each, brushing with butter and topping with fillings. Turn bottom pastry ends up over filling. 8. Place remaining 8 pastry sheets smoothly over top, brushing each with butter.
9. Using spatula, tuck top pastry sheets around inside edges of pan. With sharp knife, score top lightly in half lengthwise and sixths crosswise. (Do not cut through.) Bake in moderate oven (350 degrees F.) 1 hour or until top is golden brown. Cool at least 10 minutes before cutting along scored lines.