Preparation / Directions:
1. Shred beef and mix with seasonings. Leave aside for 20 minutes.
2. Slice water chestnut, shred soaked wood ear fungus, chop ginger and garlic. Press ginger before chopping. Slice garlic across, then smash with cleaver, then chop.
3. Heat 2 tablespoons oil, fry beef until almost done, drain and remove.
4. Make sauce: measure 6 tablespoons water, add the sugar, cornflour, brown vinegar, Chinese wine, light soya sauce, Shanghai chilli, pepper and sesame oil. Mix well. Set aside.
5. Heat remaining oil in the wok, turn heat down, lightly fry garlic and ginger, add water chestnut, wood ear fungus and beef. Add a bit of water if necessary to keep sizzling. Pour sauce over, turn heat up and fry well together.
6. Dish and serve.