Preparation / Directions:
1. Heat lard or shortening in a Dutch oven, over a moderate flame. Add beef and brown well on all sides, drain off fat.
2. Add 2 cups water, vinegar, wine, brown sugar, onions, pickling spice, and cardamom cover and simmer for 3-4 hours, until tender.
3. Remove meat to a serving platter and keep warm.
4. Strain liquid into a saucepan place and place saucepan over a medium flame.
5. Then combine flour and remaining 1-1/3 cup water-mix well vigorously stir into stock. Heat and stir until thickened and pour over meat. Serve hot.