Preparation / Directions:
1. Put the black-eyed peas in a large bowl and add water to cover by 3 inches. Soak overnight.
2. Drain the peas and put into a pot with the piece of Canadian bacon. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer 45 to 60 minutes, or until the peas are tender. Drain.
3. Transfer the peas to a bowl. Remove the Canadian bacon and dice finely; add to the peas.
4. In a large skillet, heat 2 teaspoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, cover and cook 5 minutes. Uncover and cook 2 minutes. Add to the peas. Stir in the red bell pepper.
5. To prepare the dressing: Put the mustard, vinegar, paprika, cayenne, oregano, salt and olive oil in a jar. Shake until emulsified. Add to the salad, gently mixing. Stir in freshly ground pepper to taste.
6. The salad should be served at room temperature. If making ahead, refrigerate and remove 1 hour before serving.